Blood Donation is service to Humankind,By Donating Blood you help a needy and save a precious life.
Transfusion of blood every year saves Millions of life all over the world every year,Their are Millions of Blood Donors all over the world But still their are number of countries who don’t have adequate number of blood suppliers and face the challenge of blood supply to the patients i the country However WHO is trying to make available adequate blood to the needy patients all over the world in order of this World Blood Donors Day is celebrated on 14th June every year to promote Blood Donation all over the world,and one of the best way to promote a cause is sharing short quotes and slogans related to the cause here we will share some of the best slogans and quotes regarding blood donation.
Who is eligible to donate blood?
Donors must be 18 years of age, weigh at least 50 kg, have hb count of 12.5 and above and be in good health.
What should I do before donating?
We want your donation experience to be pleasant.
- Eat a well-balanced diet before you donate. You should not donate on empty stomach
- Tell us the name and dosage of any medications you are taking. Medications will not keep you from donating, but the reason for taking them might.
- If you have taken alcohol within the last 48 hrs you cannot donate.
Is it safe to donate blood? What happens during blood donation?
Donating blood is safe and simple. Only totally sterile disposable blood bags and needles are used. The actual donation process works like this:
- You will complete a donor registration form that includes your name, address and a few other details.
- You will be asked a few questions about your health.
- You will go through a simple medical checkup including blood pressure, and pulse.
- A drop of blood will be obtained from your finger tip to test for Hemoglobin level which should be >12.5gms/dl %, and your blood group.
- You will proceed to a donor bed where your arm will be cleaned with antiseptic.
- During the donation process, you will donate 350 ml or 450ml depending on your weight.
- After the process is over, you will rest for about 5-10 minutes to ensure that clotting has taken place.
- Following your donation, you will be given refreshment.
Will I have any problems after donating blood and do I need to take any special care?
No, you will not have any problem after donating. However, if you feel light-headed, lie down until the feeling passes. If some bleeding occurs after removal of the bandage, apply pressure to the site and raise your arm for three to five minutes. If bruising or bleeding appears under the skin, apply a cold pack periodically to the area of bruising during the first 24 hours, then warm packs periodically.
Please observe the following suggestions:
- Increase your fluid intake for the next 24-48 hours.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco for one hour.
- Avoid strenuous physical exertion, heavy lifting or pulling with the donation arm for at least 24 hrs.
- However do not hesitate to contact the blood bank if you have any problems or questions
Who cannot donate? What are temporary and permanent deferral conditions?
There are many conditions in which we advice not to donate blood. These health conditions could mean that you may not be able to temporarily donate either for a period of 6 months, one year or may also mean that you may never donate blood. These conditions are essential for your safety and also for the safety of those receiving blood.
Mentioned below are the deferral conditions.
Permanent Deferral (Life Long):
- Abnormal bleeding disorder.
- Heart, Kidney, Liver Disorders, Thyroid Disorder
- Epilepsy, mental disorders
- Tuberculosis, Leprosy
- Insulin dependent diabetics, Uncontrolled High BP.
Temporary Deferral (1 year):
- Dog bite/ Rabies Vaccination
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Continuous low grade fever.
- Tattooing or body piercing (6 months)
- Dental extraction or root canal treatment (6 months)
- Intravenous drug abuse (6 months)
- If you have risk factors for HIV / AIDS (unsafe sex – 6 months)
- Malaria (3 months)
- Vaccination (2 weeks)
For Female donors:
- While lactating.
- During menstrual period (6 to 7 days)
- During pregnancy
- After delivery
What are blood components?
Blood has the following components and each one takes care of specific needs – Red blood cells, Plasma and platelets.
- Red blood cells – are administered to replenish blood loss- usually used by trauma and surgery patients.
- Fresh frozen plasma – the liquid part of the blood, is administered to patients with liver problems, burn cases etc.
- Platelets – helps in clotting when cuts or other open wounds occur. Leukemia and transplant patients often need platelet transfusions.
How long can the blood be stored at blood bank?
Whole blood can be stored for 35 days. The various blood components can be stored as under.
- Platelet Concentrate – 5 days
- Platelet Apherises – 5 days
- Platelet Rich Plasma- 5 days
- Packed Cells – 35 days
- Fresh Frozen Plasma – 1 year
- Cryo Anti Hemophilic Factor – 1 year
- Cryo Poor Plasma – 5 Years
What are laboratory tests performed on the collected blood?
Hepatitis B & CMalarial parasiteHIV I & II (AIDS)Venereal disease (Syphilis) Blood GroupBefore issuing blood, compatibility tests (cross matching) are done.
Quotes on Blood Donation
1.The blood you donate gives someone another chance at life. One day that someone may be a close relative, a friend, a loved one—or even you.
2.A life may depend on a gesture from you, a bottle of Blood.
3.To give blood you need neither extra strength nor extra food,and you will save a life.
4.Do you feel you don’t have much to offer? You have the most precious resource of all: the ability to save a life by donating blood! Help share this invaluable gift with someone in need.
5.Blood Donation will cost you nothing but it will save a life!
6.If you’re a blood donor, you’re a hero to someone, somewhere, who received your gracious gift of life.
7.The finest gesture one can make is to save life by donating Blood.
8.Tears of a mother cannot save her Child. But your Blood can.
9.The Blood Donor of today may be recipient of tomorrow.
10.To the young and healthy it’s no loss. To sick it’s hope of life. Donate Blood to give back life.
Here are some more quotes to promote Blood Donation-
The blood is red gold in time of saving a life.
Share a little, care a little – Donate Blood.
Five minutes of your time + 350 ml. of your blood = One life saved.
Blood is meant to circulate. Pass it around.
Donation of Blood means a few minutes to you but a lifetime for somebody else.
Blood is the most precious thing in this world a human being have,If you have some more quotes and slogans on blood donation Share it with us and others using the comment section below and promote Blood Donation-